Digital technologies – supported by digital infrastructure access – have the opportunity to drive inclusive economic growth. Yet current impacts are unevenly distributed and there are significant barriers to realising potential digital dividends. These include physical infrastructure, regulatory structures, taxation, content availability and accessibility, and digital skills and literacy challenges. ICED has therefore been working with DFID to identify opportunities for digital services to improve infrastructure accessibility, urban governance and urban job opportunities, as well as advising programmes and DFID partners on granular opportunities for digital development in East Africa and Central Asia.
Papers, case studies, presentations and research materials on this topic include:
- Digital opportunity in cities: Time to leapfrog
- Digital opportunity in cities: Actions for policy makers
- Top 4 digital opportunities for urban economic growth
- Digital opportunity in cities: Actions for donors
- Digital solutions for smarter urban infrastructure
- Balancing digital risk and opportunity in development
- Urbanisation in a digital world: The importance of cities
- Digital opportunity in cities: Actions for investors
- Digital solutions for urban governance
- Digital Solutions for Procurement and Operations & Maintenance
- Digital Country Benchmarking Tool
- Role of digital in urban youth employment
- What role can technology play in achieving a disability inclusive world?
- Frontier Technology solutions for improved manufacturing
- Frontier Technology solutions for improved energy services
- Frontier Technology solutions for improved infrastructure services
- Frontier Technology solutions for improved urban and infrastructure governance
- Smart cities in the global South: a path to prosperity or irrelevant luxury?