One billion people, or 15% of the world’s population, experience some form of disability. Disability prevalence is also higher in developing countries, as well as amongst vulnerable groups.
Infrastructure and cities have the potential to drive sustainable and transformative economic development that promotes equality, empowerment and economic inclusion.
However, the gains of economic growth do not automatically flow to the most vulnerable, including those with disabilities, and requires a mindful and deliberate approach to ensure these groups benefit. Well planned infrastructure and inclusive urban services are fundamental to unlocking the potential of people with disabilities.
ICED offers expertise to DFID advisers on how to take best practice in principles of disability inclusion and apply them to infrastructure and urban programming in practice. The facility’s approach recognises the need for disability related interventions in cities to go beyond physical access. Our recent work includes:
- Briefing note: ICED produced a Disability Inclusive Infrastructure and Cities Briefing Note to stimulate thinking on how DFID investments can be leveraged for greater Disability Inclusion (DI) impact. The briefing note includes good practice examples (see: Disability inclusive education in Pakistan, Disability inclusive design in Dar’s BRT, & Disability inclusive WASH in Sub Saharan Africa) of what good DI looks like across key sectors, including for programmes that go beyond minimum standards to a ‘transformative’ approach.
- TA to country offices: ICED is currently designing a second phase of support which will focus on country offices, helping them to respond to recommendations made by the ICAI Disability review (May 2018) and integrate disability considerations within strategic programmes. This second phase of support will also address specific skills gaps for improved programme design and delivery e.g. equipping advisers to engage with government partners at the national and sub-national level to influence improved DI mainstreaming.
Papers, case studies, presentations and research materials on this topic include:
- Top reading resources for building in disability
- Case Study: Disability inclusive design in Dar’s BRT
- Case Study: Disability inclusive WASH in Sub Saharan Africa
- Case Study: Disability inclusive education in Pakistan
- What does good disability inclusion look like?
- The cost of ignoring disability inclusion
- Disability inclusion: The basics
- Disability inclusion: Infrastructure sector entry points
- What role can technology play in achieving a disability inclusive world?
- Disability inclusion briefing